2. Intro Letter

Marcus Carrington

Professor Aisha Sidibe

ENG 21003 Sec A

5 September 2018

Me Myself, and I

Dear Professor Sidibe,

On August 3rd 1999 a boy named Marcus Ellijah Carrington was born and welcomed into the world with tears of joy and genuine love. Born to an Italian mother and a Black father, I was born on Staten Island, New York and have lived here ever since. For my entire life I have lived with my mother in a close knit household where family is everything. As a young child and now a young adult, I have always exhibited the character traits of being outgoing, a leader, creative, helpful, humorous and a teacher and learner. When it comes to making friends and talking to others of all types of backgrounds I find myself embracing everyone equally and making long lasting friendships. I am extremely welcoming of those of all ethnicities and sexualities and this is seen through my friend group and even the different genres of music that I listen to.

Ever since middle school I have always had a great interest in the sciences. Throughout the years I have won numerous science awards and was always deeply engaged in the different subjects that make up science. These subjects consisted of biology, forensics, and chemistry. Throughout high school I had come to the conclusion that I had wanted to be a forensic scientist when I completed college. I was very intrigued with the human body and wanted to work with crime scenes. I am amazed at how the human body works and all of the components that make it up. In addition,  I had noticed that I had a high tolerance for blood and gore and could take seeing wounds and the inside of the human body. While college searching I had stumbled upon a new profession that involved the sciences and my interest. This profession was a physician assistant and is now what I want to pursue in life. Being that I am extremely outgoing, a physician assistant works alongside the main physician and engages in one on one contact with patients completing the same amount of exercises that the physician completes. I truly enjoy helping others out and taking care of those in need. Being a physician assistant will allow me to use all of my character traits to the best of my ability and make my job feel less like work and more like fun.

My goals in this class is to be able to expand my writing skills, learn to write in a more formal and analytic way and to learn how to incorporate the new skills in scientific writing in the future. I have never had the chance to write a scientific college based paper before and it will be a new venture for me to expand my knowledge on. Moreover, being that presentations are a main part of this course, I would like to be able to help myself learn how to give a thorough presentation in front of large group of people without getting nervous and messing up. I have taken speech before and gave numerous presentations in front of people however, I still get nervous when it comes to presenting in front of my peers when there is a large group of them. As a student I would describe myself as someone who waits to the last minute to complete their work however, always pulling through in the end providing good quality. I like to see good content and make sure I give everything I do my all. Moreover, I always tend to take on a lot of work and responsibility. I never back down on a challenge and will work to see success. When it comes to writing i’m not too fond of writing drafts for papers or even writing long essays in general. I rather just complete one paper and submit it. Even though I do have this mentality, I have recognized the importance of drafts and the drastic change that they can have on someone’s writing.

Sincerely,

Marcus Carrington